Part of helping our parents get settled into their new house is figuring out where to hang all our framed family photos, art, mirrors, and random taxidermy. That means finding a hammer. And in the Thomas house (once you've dug through a shoe box of screws and nails and mistmatched picture-hanging hardware)... that can also mean finding a hammer like this.
This conjures up an image for me (while alone in my mom's master-suite bathroom about to hang some art by the tub) of Donny back when he was first figuring out this whole sideshow thing of his.
I can just picture him before the handlebar mustache, before the shaved head, and before the Lasik (a Christmas present from mom) pushing his cute John Lennon spectacles back up his nose, while carefully painting the handle of one of our parent's old hammers white – but still leaving a proper mess of dripped paint behind him on the garage floor. And then coming up with the very clever (and very Tim Burton inspired) idea of adding jaunty black stripes out of electrician's tape.
photo: Autumn Luciano
1. He promoted his Human Blockhead Lager
2. Left his steady gig at Coney Island, still making special appearances but free to tour more
3. Traveled the country performing with the Pretty Things Peep Show
4. They even took the show to Australia, where he showed a little leg, but...
5. He still saved some moves for his family. Specifically for the spontaneous sibling balcony dance party, on the very, very top floor of our very, very, very tall beach rental in Destin, Florida.
That's just the condensed version. Here's Donny's full report.
I'm thinking Donny has probably left more than just one hammer behind in all his travels. I'm sure when we pull out the Halloween decorations I'll find some other oddity to get sentimental about. But that's, well... a whole other season.